Created by Zane Gardner
From a game sent in by Zane that encourages ball passing. So good for things like basketball and netball, but with adaptation could be used for rugby, American football and football (soccer).
Two opposing teams made of equal numbers upto 7 on each team. Can be played one on one. One team is offence the other defence and take turns over a set time.
It’s suggested an outdoor basketball court is used, but find an area which works for you. Needs to be large enough to allow for running and passing the ball and to have a goal at one end. Zane suggests a Lacrosse Goal and using a Blitzball (a lightweight small faceted ball). However, it’s probably easier to take advantage of what you have available to use as a goal and ball, or use what meets your needs. Eg if you are trying to encourage practice in passing of a rugby or American football, using one that is that shape will work better. Likewise for developing dribblings skills a ball larger balls like netballs, soccer balls and basketballs are easier to handle than a smaller ball.
Toss a coin to see which team starts and becomes the offense team. The objective is for the offence team from the end zone (other end of the court) to get the ball into the goal at the far end, but the ball MUST be passed between each member of the team before an attempt at scoring can be made. The defense team has the role of stopping the ball being passed or a goal being scored.
The offense can only throw or dribble the ball forward. Defence can only stop the ball by intercepting it being transferred between players on the offense or when they try to score a goal.
The offense can touch ball to the ground in the same way as American football (a play or down) and can do this upto 4 times. The ball still has to have passed between all members of the team at least once between leaving the end zone and scoring a goal. There is no limit on how many times a ball can be passed only that is can not go backwards (you might need to make an exception to that if trying this as rugby).
Teams swap when a goal has been scored. The team with the most goals after a set time wins the game.
Rules sent in by Zane:
- The main game of Relay Ball is you have two opposing sides: An Offence and Defence. This can be One vs. One, Two vs. Two, 3 v 3, 4 v 4, (up to a total of 7 v 7). An Ouotdoor Basketball court (90 ft x 60 ft) is used as the court size. The objective of the game is players must score from an end zone within four downs. If a goal is not achieved within 4 downs, teams switch sides. When a goal is reached, teams switch sides. A goal is worth 1 point. The goal used is typically a Lacross Goal. The Ball typically used is a Blitz Ball.
- The Game Starts with a coin toss. The winner of the toss will have their Quarter Back receive the ball. They will have to move the ball forward from the end zone. You cannot travel backwards with the ball.
- The Ball needs to be passed to everyone on your team (Relayed) before you can score a goal. This does not apply in 1 v 1 games.
- The official clock rules are usually 3 periods, 10 minutes each period. If they reach overtime, the game will end. There are no ovetime rules.
- When a ball is in your possession, you must be traveling with the ball or dribbling the ball like a basketball. You cannot stop and stand still with the ball. Stopping is a Technical Foul.
- No Pushing or Shoving is allowed. If someone is pushing another, that will be a foul. If the person reaches a maximum of 3 fouls, they will sit out the rest of the game.
- No Charging the Defense or Offense is allowed. This is a Foul.
- No Tackling Players. This is a Foul.
- Striking the ball when it’s in contact of someone else will result in a foul.
- The ball can only be stolen by the opposition when the ball is traveling in the air between passes or intercepted during an attempt to score the ball into the goal.
- The ball needs to be thrown into the goal. It cannot be traveled in.
- Goal Tending will lead to the opposing team to gain a point.
There is a lot of opportunity to adjust the rules to suit your needs, but if you need help give us a shout.